Friday, March 25, 2011

What stock footage sells TODAY?

So far I have tried to post some stuff about the surface level basics of shooting stock footage. I want to write a quick blurb about the thought process behind what sells, and some of the different angles you can approach shooting stock footage from that may improve your chances of success as a Stock Footage producer.

Stock footage has evolved, there are too many “standard” stock footage shots. Everyone already has access to them. How many times have you seen a time lapse sunset shot, a close up of a water drop in slow motion making waves? An abstract of waves rippling on a lake? A colorful blurred abstract background? A close-up of beautiful flower blowing gently in a summer breeze?

Historically, stock footage has been all about shooting VERY generic, standard shots in standard categories to create an all incompassing "Stock Footage Library." A production company would purchase the library to cover all of their stock footage needs. The licensing fees for using clips from these stock footage libraries was quite expensive and usually kept small independent producers away from purchasing the footage. Things have changed, and there is a MUCH larger pool of producers that need stock footage for music videos, websites, webisodes, commercials, indy films, student films, live events etc. but they aren't willing to purchase large libraries, and they are using stock footage to save money on their productions. And they usually have much more specialized or specific needs.

With the onset of micro-sites your stock footage is available to the entire world, shoot something unique, special, impressive, difficult to shoot, or creative and you will do very well. There still is a market for the standard, tried and true subject matter, but you better have a studio, high end camera equipment and lights, hire professional actors/models and have some experience shooting professional film or video. A popular topics that comes to mind is:

Business People - Meetings, making deals, on the phone, on a computer, working together, etc. Businesses put together video presentations all the time for marketing purposes, conventions, sales meetings, etc. They use them on websites, in power point presentations etc. That is a good target market because they don’t like to go and hire camera crews to shoot a 3 minute sales meeting video.

I’m not discouraging shooting this kind of footage, but starting out, it is much more rewarding to sell your unique eye to the world.

Here is an example of a unique shot that has done well for me.


I was able to get my HVX200 into the LA County Fair and shoot this POV shot as I slid down a colorful slide. I didn't have to hire any actors, rent a studio, lights, or production assistants. As of this posting, "Carnival Slide POV" has made me $542 from istockphoto.com sales. It consistently sells (on average) about once every month. That's not a bad trip to the County Fair! I'd say I covered my entrance fee and the $2 to go on the slide.

Find something unique to shoot... it doesn't always have to be a big production. Just watch out for recognizable faces, logos, or other things that will get your clip rejected.

Happy Shooting
HDCineman

8 comments:

  1. thanks for the tips. What do you think about nature footage. I live in utah and we have amazing places. I even thought about just doing sunset shots of anything, but just concentrate on sunset shots. Would that sell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! In fact, you could carve out a niche for yourself as a UTAH Sunset Shooter. You'll have to take some time to get really good at it because there are a lot of "Nature Sunset" shots out there, but if you take the time to shoot quality footage you will make sales.

      Delete
    2. One think that always puts me off selling on stock sites is the rights involved. Have you had problems with the rights to film in certain places, such as would you have had to get a release to shoot your slide shot? Would you also be allowed to upload the same clip to multiple stock sites? I can't see myself making too much money from stock sites, but a bit of extra pocket money is always nice to have!

      Delete
  2. I viѕited multiple sites but the аudio fеatuгe for
    audio songs current at this web page іѕ rеally excellent.


    Also viѕit my weblog - may tinh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi therе! I could have sωоrn I've been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's
    new to me. Аnуhоw, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be bοoκmаrkіng and cheсking
    back frequently!

    Μy weblog; may tinh

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are actuallу all dіstinсt options whеn
    it comes to a wеdding ԁress she will knoω instantlу whether or not
    you want tо weаr, Huff Ρost Weddings.
    Thе choіce may bе a little more
    volumе to your bust. I always ask my bridеѕ to show
    me their weԁding dreѕs; it's a great way to jump start your weight loss goals with the master cleanse and does it work? The collection is designed to instantly slim and enhance a woman's сuгves making heг feel sexy аnd confident in yοur
    ԁreѕs, and уour height.

    Hеre iѕ my homepаge: ao cuoi - latinoink.com -

    ReplyDelete
  5. blackberry Ѕ2 is a pockеt PC as
    іt comes outfitted with SWYPE input technology.

    The phοne's HVGA display renders colors in a bright and crisp as its bigger cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is written well and I like the subject matter, thank you.

    ReplyDelete